March 21, 2018
Every animal deserves a forever home. This is the core belief behind Midcoast Humane’s new campaign, No Paw Left Behind.
No Paw Left Behind is a community initiative to help long-term, overlooked pets find their forever homes. Led by volunteers and staff at Midcoast Humane, the campaign ensures that every dog and cat who is ready to be adopted finds a family within 90 days.
The campaign was created because the hardest to place animals need an entire community to help them find a home. Organizers are asking the community to share the stories of these under-dogs and cats with their friends by following the No Paw Left Behind Facebook page at facebook.com/MHNoPawLeftBehind.
In 2018, sixty-four animals waited 90 days or longer to be adopted, and sometimes much, much longer. While the average amount of time that dogs and cats waited for a home on our adoption floor was 7.3 and 10.2 days respectively, there were noticeable outliers. Sherman, a lab mix and staff favorite was up for adoption for 194 days before his forever family took him home in January.
Several animals have been waiting for homes for even longer. Maui the cat has been up for adoption for 234 days, and 9-year-old pit bull mix Shasha has been ready for 309 days. Compared to the average dog and cat ready to be adopted in 2018, the longest-term dog sat 12.5 times longer, and longest-term cat waited 9 times longer, to find their forever home.
Some of the hardest to place animals often need a particular environment at home, such as being the only pet in the household, or living with no children under a certain age. Sometimes they might have a behavioral or medical need that needs special attention. Additionally, many shelter visitors do not consider a long-term resident because the dog or cat doesn’t “show well” at the shelter. However, post-adoption surveys have revealed that these hard-to-place animals thrive in their new homes.
Midcoast Humane provides the best care and attention possible to every animal, regardless of how long they wait to find their forever home.
For animals that do spend longer periods at the shelter, Midcoast Humane’s enrichment and behavior modification teams focus on keeping animals happy, stimulated, and healthy. Some animals are kept away from high-traffic areas of the shelter to help alleviate stress. Dogs take “field trips” with volunteers, and work on basic commands and improving kennel behavior. Dogs and cats, as well as small animals, are provided with “boredom buster” exercises to help keep their minds sharp, which is vitally important to maintaining health and happiness.
These animals need their community rooting for them. We hope No Paw Left Behind inspires people to use their love for pets to have a direct impact on these shelter residents!
Ways you can get involved:
- Share, share, share! Follow No Paw Left Behind on Facebook and share our posts. Root for the animals!
- Adopt a No Paw Left Behind Animal! Visit our 30 Range Road location in Brunswick and take a look at the No Paw Left Behind board in the lobby, talk to an adoption counselor about our long-term residents, and get to know the pets on Facebook.
- Sponsor ad space in our local papers and TV and radio stations to put these dogs and cats in front of as many eyes and ears as possible. (Call 207-449-1366 ext. 106 or email firstname.lastname@example.org FMI)
- Sponsor an adoption fee of a No Paw Left Behind animal! A fee-waived adoption can help draw attention to particular animals.Our trained adoption counselors make sure animals go to the right home and that it’s a great fit on both sides, but if the fee-waived adoption sparks someone’s interest, then it’s worth it!
- Make a donation to help cover the costs of care of animals in the No Paw Left Behind program.
- Download and print this No Paw Left Behind flier to hang in your office, distribute at businesses/organizations you frequent, and hand out to your network.
- Share your ideas with us! Contact email@example.com or message No Paw Left Behind through Facebook.
About No Paw Left Behind No Paw Left Behind is a community initiative to help long-term, overlooked pets find their forever homes. Led by volunteers and staff at Midcoast Humane, the campaign ensures that every dog and cat who is ready to be adopted finds a family within 90 days.Help every animal find a home by following and sharing their stories at facebook.com/MHNoPawLeftBehind.
Share me with your friends!