Midcoast Humane has partnered with Vehicles for Charity to turn your old car into donations for our animals! Below you’ll find more information about how to turn your car or boat into much needed funding for animals.
If you have questions not addressed below, please call us at (207) 449-1366 or send an email to email@example.com. Click to Donate Your Vehicle!
Steps to Donate Your Vehicle
- Call 1-866-628-2277 or complete the online form located at www.vehiclesforcharity.org and you will be contacted to complete the next steps.
- Make sure you have your title and current mileage.
- Whether you call or complete the online form, please let them know you want the donation to go to Midcoast Humane. They have our information if you type it into their form. For your information, our federal tax identification number, verifying our non-profit status, is 01-6021200.
- The donation is credited to our account.
- You will be instructed to remove the license plates from the vehicle and sign the title prior to pick-up. They will contact you about what to write on your title.
- Vehicle pick-up is scheduled with the tow company.
- Depending on the condition of the vehicle, it is either taken to an auction for sale or to an auto crusher for recycling purposes.
- The third party will mail you a donation acknowledgement as well as a thank you letter within 30 days following the sale of the vehicle per IRS requirements (upon receipt of a negotiable title).
- Please be sure to visit the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles to notify them that you have donated the vehicle and transferred liability.
Frequently Asked Questions about Vehicle donations
What can I donate?
You can donate just about any vehicle, including cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles and recreational vehicles. They do not have to be currently running. Your vehicle donation will be sold at an auction or to salvage depending on condition.
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Yes, your donation is tax-deductible! The IRS allows you to take a charitable tax deduction on your federal income tax form equal to the amount the vehicle sells for at auction unless it sells for less than $500. If your vehicle sells for less than $500 you may deduct no more than $500. If your vehicle sells for more than $500, you will need to include the IRS form 1098C. Vehicles for Charity will supply this documentation after your vehicle sells. We recommend you consult your tax advisor with questions about your deduction.
What do I need to donate my car?
(1) A clear title, which means a title with your name listed in the owner’s section, without an assignment or transfer to another person. All liens must be released prior to donating the vehicle. (2) Your car keys. (3) When you call or fill out our online form, please have the title and current mileage in hand.
Who will pick up my car?
A towing company will call you to schedule the pick-up of your vehicle. You will need to give the driver the keys to the vehicle as well as your signed title. Do I pay for the towing? No, there is no charge to you for the towing.
How long will I have to wait before my vehicle is picked up?
Typically, your vehicle will be picked up in 2-4 business days. The towing company will contact you in advance to schedule the pick up.