2019 Summer Clinical Internship
THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR OUR 2019 INTERNSHIP HAS CLOSED.
Midcoast Humane’s Summer Clinical Internship, directly under the supervision of our veterinarians Dr. Mandie Wehr and Dr. Alison Paré, is ideal for anyone interested in a career in veterinary medicine or animal sheltering. Applicants should be team players, excited about sheltering and animals, and interested in an intense 3-month internship learning about shelter medicine, population medicine, and shelter management. Duties are listed below but will include intakes, vaccine administration, animal restraint and handling, some surgical assistance, veterinary data entry, and assistance with other shelter operations and clinical activities. A link to apply to this Internship is at the bottom of this page. While you are completing the application, you will not be able to save your progress. You will need a cover letter, resume, and letter of reference, so be sure to have those handy.
This position is unpaid.
The internship is 40 hours a week beginning June 1 through August (flexible with end date to allow students to return to class). Individual must be self-directed, self-motivated and a team player. The chosen candidate will have good organizational skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment. Must be 18 years or older and maintain a valid drivers license. The focus of the internship will be shelter medicine and overall sheltering, including rounds, surgical assistance, filling prescriptions, performing health evaluations, performing intakes, population management, infectious disease control, behavior assessment and more.
- Assist with surgery, vet care, and medical management
- Assist with intake examination of all new animals
- Collect fecal, urine, and blood samples for testing
- Assist with the diagnosis and treatment of illness and injury
- Humane euthanasia as needed
- Responsible for keeping clinic area clean
- Assist with maintaining medical information database
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and organizational skills
- The ability to maintain a positive and cheerful demeanor in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
- Computer experience in Pet Point or other shelter tracking software in addition to Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel helpful
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
The deadline to apply is March 18, 2019. A phone interview may be performed. Internships will be announced on April 2, 2019.
Please direct any questions to Dr. Mandie Wehr at email@example.com or (207) 449-1366.